Saturday, February 20, 2010

Boot Camp Day 1-- Iron Up!

"Iron Up." - A common quote among ironman team participants.

I definitely thought about that quote today out there on boot camp day 1. It was a day of beginning to test our limits. From jumping into freezing freezing cold water to biking up 5 mile long hard inclines to battling the wind from tipping over on your bike on the downhills to panting while walking up the dirt fire-road trails our feet pounded over.

I told myself to "iron up" many times, and many times the only thought that got me through everything was thoughts of Golnaz. My back was killing me on the bike, so I thought back to the days when Golnaz had all those bone marrow procedures in her lower back. I knew that pain was worse than I was facing and I knew that her pain was one that she wouldn't be able to get rid of in a few minutes. So, I pushed harder. And literally, those two thoughts kept me going strong the whole day. Seriously, I was ready for more! I mean, when I first jumped in the water and had to gasp for air it was that cold... and I couldn't even imagine putting my face in the water until after the first buey, by the end, I found my rhythm and really thought I could keep going! With all 3 events, I had fun out there and had a surprisingly huge burst of energy the entire day. I don't think I ever stopped smiling :)

Where is all this coming from??? WTF? Am I really enjoying this???

My legs were tired while biking, but literally while everyone around me on the run started talking about how their legs felt like jello, mine felt great. I don't have that tired feeling going into runs anymore like I used to. I kept a strong pace on the run and had absolutely wonderful people to run with because we just talked and talked and talked the whole entire time and I don't think a 6 mile run has ever gone that fast in my life!!! Even after the practice was over, I was running to my car-- how am I getting all this energy? Yes, I did do a pretty good job at keeping up my nutrition-- aka eating anything and everything I could handle. But, I'm actually finally starting to realize that I'm getting stronger. It's sort of a nice feeling...

The last note... I absolutely love my team!!! South bay and north bay came together today, but I honestly have such a strong bond with the north bay group. I have so much fun with them for some reason and really think that every single person brings something special to the team. South bay also, of course. I can't wait for the next 5 months training with them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment